Well, today is basically the last day of After-School. Technically we have tomorrow, but since the majority of our schools have early dismissal, today will be the last day I see most of the kids until next year. I am a mixed ball of emotions.
On one hand I am excited about the summer. Even though I am not technically "off" my schedule will be very flexible and not getting home at 6:30 every night will be a nice change of pace. I am looking forward to some fun things- vacation at the beach and a mission trip to Kenya are the biggest. I am also looking forward to having the whole summer to re-think the program and really design it how I want it. We will be moving into our new building soon and with that comes a lot of possibilities.
On the other hand, I am sad to see the kids go. I feel like I have been able to build some strong relationships with most of them and it is sad to think about not seeing them everyday. What makes it worse is knowing that for the majority of them, summer isn't about family vacations, camp and playing outdoors with friends. Its mostly about them at home by themselves, passing the time by watching TV and playing video games.
We have a few activities planned for the summer to help break this up, but with the move and with our space issues, there just isn't a lot we can do for this age of kids. I do have grand plans to hang out once a week with a few of them so hopefully that will work out!
For now, I leave you with this group shot! It was used as a Thank You note to some of our volunteers, but its the only one I have with most of the kids in it!

No comments:
Post a Comment